Friday, January 22, 2016

Cranberry Thokku (Pickle)

Cranberries are very good for health so I bought a big bag of cranberries but none of us liked to eat it as such since it was too sour. So when I was wondering what to do with it, I came across this recipe and used it to make this cranberry thokku. I made it similar to how I make Tomato Thokku and it tasted very good. In a matter of days all the cranberries were finished in this manner. Now I will buy cranberries only to make this thokku. You can use this thokku along with rice, dosas or chappatis and it tastes awesome with curd rice especially...

Ingredients

  • 2 cups Cranberries
  • 1/2 cup Sesame Oil 
  • 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
  • 1 tsp Mustard seeds
  • 1/2 tsp Asafoetida
  • 2 tsp Salt (Adjust to taste)
  • 1 tsp Chilly Powder (Adjust to taste)
  • 1 tsp Sambar Powder (Optional)
  • 2 spring Curry Leaves
  • 1 tbsp Jaggery (Optional)
  • 1/2 tsp roasted Methi (Fenugreek) Powder

Method
  1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and saute the leaves.
  2. Then add the Cranberries, turmeric, chilly powder, sambar powder, salt and mix well. Allow the cranberries to cook on low flame till they all pop and mash well. Add more oil if the mixture gets stuck to the pan or is too dry.
  3. When the thokku is cooked well and the oil begins to leave the mixture, add the methi powder and the jaggery and mix well. Switch off the stove and allow it to cool before storing the thokku in an air-tight container.


5 comments:

  1. Just a smiling visitant here to share the love (:
    , btw outstanding design and style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very instructive and excellent complex body part of subject material, now that's user friendly (:.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw a lot of website but I think this one contains something extra in it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like it when folks get together and share views.
    Great site, continue the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been browsing online more than three hours as of late, yet I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like
    yours. It is beautiful worth sufficient for me.
    In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made just right content material as
    you probably did, the net might be a lot more useful than ever
    before.

    ReplyDelete

Curries for Indian Flatbreads

Paneer Butter Masala
Methi Malai Mutter
Channa Masala